As part of the Programme, possible visits are those whose objective include:
1) completing the first or a subsequent post-doctoral fellowship;
2) conducting scientific research;
3) obtaining materials for research or a scientific publication.
In addition to the above activities, the visit may also include conducting didactic classes at the Host institution.
The visit under the Project cannot take place earlier than on 1 January 2022 or later than on 1 October 2022.
1) The Project should be implemented on a continuous basis.
2) It is possible to suspend the Scholarship for a period of not more than 3 months with the consent of the Host institution. No funds are granted during the suspension of the Project implementation. Suspension of the Project implementation do not constitute grounds for increasing financing;
3) The period of stay outside the Host institution cannot be longer than 10% of the overall duration of stay. The period of stay outside the Host institution cannot be used in full or for the most part at the beginning or end of the Project implementation period (it cannot be used to shorten the Project implementation period).
The Programme can be attended by the natural person who:
1. jointly meets the following conditions:
1) is a scientist with at least a doctoral degree;
2) is employed at a foreign HEI or a foreign scientific/research centre or completed their previous employment contract after 31 August 2020. The employment is not required for persons who obtained their doctoral degree after 31 August 2020;
3) had not studied or worked in Poland within 3 years before the date of deadline of the call and did not live during this period in Poland continuously for more than three months (work in Poland is understood as employment under an employment contract in an entity based in the territory of the Republic of Poland or managing a research grant with an affiliation to the Polish scientific institution, if in this respect the salary was paid);
4) if the Applicant has implemented other NAWA projects, it is possible to apply when the scholarship has been settled and the agreement is considered as completed;
5) has minimum 3 achievements (from not earlier than 2016): list of achievements is available here: https://nawa.gov.pl/en/scientists/the-ulam-programme/call-for-proposals
6) has an invitation from the Host institution, which is a national entity having a scientific category.
1. The calculation of the Scholarship shall take into account:
1) living allowance in the amount of PLN 10,000 monthly for each full month of stay of the Fellow at the Host institution. The length of the stay shall be specified in the application, giving the number of full months of the stay, the stay starting from the first day of the month. The amount of the living allowance of the Fellow may be increased if his/her spouse participates in the visit – by PLN 2,000 monthly, unless the spouse undertakes employment in the course of the Scholarship (which means employment both under a contract of employment and under a civil law agreement). This amount may also be increased if the Fellow is accompanied by underage children – by PLN 1,000 monthly for each underage child.
2) one-off mobility allowance in the amount of:
a) PLN 7,000 in the case of visits from European countries, if only the Fellow is participating in the visit and an additional PLN 2,000 for each person, if the scientist is accompanied by the spouse or underage children of the Fellow;
b) PLN 12,000 in the case of visits from non-European countries, if only the Fellow is participating in the visit and an additional PLN 5,000 for each person, if the scientist is accompanied by the spouse or underage children of the Fellow.
3) financing the costs of training – costs of learning Polish in the case of applicants who are not of Polish origin in the form of a one-off training allowance at maximum PLN 5,000. Polish language learning should take place in the institution with the NAWA Accreditation. The list of accredited entities will be available in April 2021 on the webpage https://nawa.gov.pl/jezyk-polski/akredytacja-nawa. If in the Host institution, where the Fellow holder implements the Project, there is no accredited unit, the Polish language course should be conducted as part of university courses.
2. Financing of the visit of the family members shall be possible only if their stay lasts at least 3 months.
3. Insurance costs and cost of a visa, if required, shall be borne by the Fellow.
4. The Scholarship amount may be increased only if during the stay or before its commencement the Fellow will have a new child which will participate in the visit of the Fellow. Such situations will be considered by the Director individually, depending on the financial resources available.
5. If the Fellow has a certificate of severe or moderate disability, and is not accompanied by his/her spouse during the visit, but by a Personal assistant, the amounts referred to in 1(1) and (2) may be increased, under such conditions as if the spouse participated in the visit.
6. Pursuant to Article 21(1)(39a) of the Act of 26 July 1991 on personal income tax (i.e. Journal of Laws of 2019, item 1387, as amended) Scholarships and other funds referred to in Article 18(2)(1) of the Act on NAWA are free from income tax.